Sr. Product Manager – Autodesk, August 2016 – Present
Sr. Product Manager for Smart Manufacturing Solutions within Manufacturing & Construction Products Group.
- Defined strategy and built support for how Autodesk will expand into manufacturing including how we will shift to targeted solutions based on both internal and 3rd party provided capabilities.
- Launched Fusion Production, the first of several offerings that connect traditional CAD tools to manufacturing tools and users creating a connected, integrated ecosystem.
- Built a solution map and Identified key capabilities to build, license or acquire and used this plan to drive partnering and licensing activities for the team.
- Defined plan and committed team to convert Factory Design solutions to a new cloud based platform that enables connected workflow from traditional desktop tools to new consumption services based offerings.
- Lead team of 4 Product Mangers, 22 Development, 2 Architects, 7 User Experience, 6 QA staff.
Sr. Product Manager – Autodesk, July 2015 – August 2016
Sr. Product Manager for Strategy & Research within Product Development Group.
- Collaboratively develop a cohesive product vision and strategy for PDG offerings and driving alignment across the product teams.
- Participated in the acquisition and integration of strategically important technology for simulating metal additive manufacturing.
- Managed research team to experiment and create prototypes that identify key development areas and product workflows.
Sr. Product Manager – Autodesk, 2012 – July 2015
Product Manager for Manufacturing Engineering product line group with responsibility for Factory Design Suite, Process Analysis 360, Factory Design Mobile, and emerging products.
- Responsible for driving factory business to nearly $40M annually across the AMER, EMEA, & APAC.
- Built an ecosystem of interoperable products to better serve manufacturing users including Process Analysis 360 for factory planning and Factory Design Mobile to allow users to perform layout and design tasks in the field.
- Developed key partnerships and pursued several potential acquisition targets for virtual commissioning, materials planning and logistics.
- Evangelized Manufacturing Engineering vision and strategy at user conferences and with professional associations.
Sr. Program Manager – Autodesk, 2011 – 2012
Program management for Product Design and Factory Design Suites, two of seven suites offered by Autodesk representing over $300M in annual revenue.
- Managed cross-functional team consisting of product management, marketing & branding, licensing, quality assurance and sales operations to deliver annual releases.
- Defined and rolled out a company-wide process to ensure consistent implementation of installation, licensing, localization, and interoperability for suites, included products and integrated components.
- Streamlined process for identifying branding asset needs and delivering across all products in the division.
- Drove process for identifying user experience improvements for interoperability and installation processes.
Founder – Cpruce Labs, 2010 – 2011
Cpruce Labs created smart phone applications that use geolocation capabilities to bring a new dimension to gaming and game play. Game play requires users to move to specific target locations, interacting with their world in entirely new ways.
- Founded company, developed original game concept, product requirements, and delivered first game (Spectroscope) in less than 3 months.
- Designed and implemented the overall user experience including game interaction, website, and beta program.
- Developed company positioning, accompanying website and implemented social networking campaign.
- Planned and executed beta testing for nearly 100 users and gathered critical feedback to drive the initial product release and features and capabilities roadmap.
- Developed all creative (copy, visual, and audio) for website and game content.
Director Product Management – RNA Networks (acq. by Dell), 2008 – 2010
Built and led the product management team to deliver RNA MVX, a memory virtualization solution for accelerating large clustered analytics, simulation, and back-testing applications.
- Responsible for product vision and product management for three discrete products in the solution family. Developed product plans, near-term roadmap, marketing requirements documents, product positioning, and user experience. Created a 3 year vision for memory virtualization technologies, including use cases, market analysis, and competitive assessment.
- Managed customer pre-sales engagement executing proof of concepts as a critical step in the sales process for emerging technologies.
- Identified new opportunities in virtualization and cloud computing markets and created corresponding product offerings to pursue. Defined product positioning, supported with datasheets, presentations, and white papers. Contributed to online marketing efforts (website, blog, social).
Director Product Management – SignaCert (acq . by Harris), 2006 – 2008
Delivered SignaCert’s Enterprise Trust Server appliance and SignaCert Verify Hosted Services to market including initial market problem identification, requirements, development, and product launch.
- Captured customer requirements from key customers to identify and validate use cases and user stories. Performed additional problem space research to define marketing and product requirements.
- Maintained product roadmap including major capabilities, features, partnership and integration opportunities for Enterprise Trust Services and SignaCert Verify within the greater business ecosystem.
- Managed an advisory board of industry experts and key influencers. Advisory board members provided guidance on corporate strategy, product direction and provided access to their professional network.
- Analyzed market for compliance and IT controls including total available market, target customers, partner identification and competitive landscape definition.
- Performed technical sales support and pitched integration strategies for several major OEM partners.
VP Product Management – Swan Island Networks, 2002 – 2005
Primary responsibility for roadmap, product specifications and development. Additional responsibilities include corporate strategy, marketing communications, and technical sales. Co-founder and company officer.
- Designed SWARM product, scope & vision, use case, system requirements documentation, and user interface design and prototypes. Patent holder: #7,337,146 “Emergency Information Management System”.
- Developed corporate strategy, including presentations, supporting research, and documentation.
- Performed technical sales, including to senior staff at many Federal agencies including, The White House, DoD, DoC, State Dept., DoT, NSA and DHS.
- Identified and captured market and customer requirements to define the product roadmap. Responsible for creation and management of MRDs and PRDs related to all products and customer engagements.
Director Marketing – Computerized Thermal Imaging, 2001 – 2002
Responsible for all marketing activities for the Photonic Stimulator light therapy product, the Thermal Image Processor medical imaging system, and for Automated Thermal Non-destructive Testing products.
- Drove creative and content development including datasheets, advertising, direct mail, and trade show graphics for all product families.
- Implemented advertising plan with medical vertical publications for all Photonic Stimulator.
- Developed product roadmap and associated marketing requirements documentation for Photonic Stimulator and Thermal Image Processor products.
- Managed staff responsible for marketing communications, public relations and trade show management.
Director Product Management – Supertracks, 2000 – 2001
Developed BridgePort Last Element Streaming system, a DMCA compliant, CD quality Internet radio solution.
- Defined and delivered the BridgePort product. Responsible for product requirements including user interface definitions and prototypes, use cases, and acceptance criteria.
- Worked closely with engineering to resolve security and compliance issues surrounding the distribution of copyright protected music using the internet.
- Implemented successful ‘JamPlayer’, a BridgePort integration, with local Portland radio station.
- Created the Internet Music Kit, a multimedia mini-CD used to promote Digitally Distributed Music (DDM) sales. Built branded prototypes for BestBuy, SamGoody, and several other customers.
Product Marketing Manager – Genedax Inc., 1998 – 2000
Product Marketing Manager for DECO, a collaborative Electronic Design Automation (EDA) tool suite and for www.fatchip.com, a vertical portal for electronic designers.
- Developed, maintained, and executed marketing plans for Genedax electronic design automation software and the Fatchip vertical portal for integrated circuit engineers.
- Implemented integrated marketing campaigns resulting in a +20% response rate. Campaigns included direct mail, outbound calling, and internet interactivity.
- Produced marketing collateral including product datasheets, software packaging, presentations, direct mail, promotional items, and web-based literature
Account Manager – Avnet / Hamilton Hallmark, 1995 -1997
Account Manager/Field Sales for $6 B electronic component distributor.
- Increased sales to $5.1 M from $0.5 M for 18 accounts in Portland, OR metro region.
- Owned sales forecasts and respective account strategies and tactics required meet them, to increase account penetration, and grow market share in region.
Electrical Engineer – Optiva Corp. (acq. by Philips), 1991 – 1995
Research and design, electrical engineering and manufacturing engineering that helped make Sonicare a household name.
- Co-invented “Sonicare” electronic toothbrush based on University of Washington based research. Commercialized the technology, built processes to ramp production and delivered a hugely successful consumer product.
- Managed 5 person R&D team and 12 person production staff.
- Researched, wrote, and defended patent multiple patent applications. Patent holder: #5,784,742 “Toothbrush with adaptive load sensor” and #5,544,382 “Pacing Toothbrush”.
- Identified and managed vendors supplying critical sub-assemblies required for production, scaling production to 50,000 units monthly while ensuring high quality and regulatory compliance.
- Foster School of Business, University of Washington, MBA, Seattle, WA, 1999
Washington State University, BS Electrical Engineering, Pullman, WA, 1991